2009 ICC World Cup Live

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Federer cool and confident

A fit and healthy Roger Federer has warned to not rule him out of winning this year’s Australian Open.

At 27, and chasing his 14th Grand Slam to equal Pete Sampras’ record, the world No.2 says he isn’t going anywhere.

“I want to do well, not only this year but [in] many more years to come. So I don’t feel this is my last chance …” he said in his pre-tournament press conference on Sunday.

Despite losing to Andy Murray twice this year, in an exhibition match in Abu Dhabi and two weeks ago in a semifinal in Doha, Federer says the pressure leading into the tournament doesn’t feel any different to any other of his 10 years at Melbourne Park.

“I feel like things are normal. I’m playing well. I’m feeling well,” he said.

As the world No.2, the Swiss says he won’t change anything different about his preparation compared to previous Australian Open campaigns.

“(My) approach has always been pretty much the same. I always try to get enough matches in on the surface that the Slam takes place … that’s always something I’ve always kept the same.”

Federer has enjoyed the perfect preparation for Australian Open 2009, having plenty of match time in Doha and by winning the Kooyong Classic on Saturday against compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka.

“I played well yesterday, hit the ball well, had good timing…I’m excited about playing tomorrow,” he said.

The former world No.1 says he has worked harder than ever to get where he is today and is in a better position than he was 12 months ago, when he was labouring with illness, his 2008 campaign ending at the hands of eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the semifinals.

“I’m happy how far I’ve come really, because I had to work extremely hard to get back in shape. I had to put much more of an effort into last year than I’ve ever had to put in any of the years before.”

Federer will meet Italian Andreas Seppi in the first round on Monday night. Currently ranked 35 in the world, Seppi was beaten by Federer two weeks ago in Doha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Story:


Football Live Streaming

Live Streaming

Soccer Live

Humsurfer: Sports - hot

digg.com: Stories / Sports / Popular