2009 ICC World Cup Live

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hewitt as bullish as ever

Lleyton Hewitt is raring to go at Australian Open 2009 after declaring he is fit, injury-free and excited about playing in front of a vocal home crowd.

On Tuesday, Hewitt will face No.13 seed and Australian Open 2007 runner-up Fernando Gonzalez.

Hewitt conceded it is going to be a tough match-up, but has spent the last couple of months preparing for whatever hand the draw dealt him.

“I’m probably one of the more dangerous unseeded players in the draw,” he said.

“Right now I am focusing on Gonzalez, worrying about the match-up (and) what I need to do with my game to be in as good nick as possible.”

The last time the two met was at Rod Laver Arena in the third round of Australian Open 2007.

Gonzalez progressed with his fairytale that night, winning 6-2 6-2 5-7 6-4 in a match where Hewitt became the only player to take a set from the red-hot Chilean en route to the final, which Gonzalez lost to Roger Federer. Gonzalez has won three of the pair’s five head-to-head match-ups.

Although trying to remain focused on the first round, Hewitt said he still feels the rush and excitement of playing at his home event.

“I think they put on a great event here … everyone really enjoys it here. We get looked after really well,” he said.

When asked about his ambition, it was clear the 27-year-old is just as hungry as he was 13 years ago when he first stepped out at Melbourne Park.

“I’m still as driven and as motivated as I think I’ve always been - probably more so after having the injury, having to put in all the hard yards to try and get back,” he said.

“I still feel that I’ve got things to do in the sport. I still feel I can get back into the top 10 and push those better guys at the top of the rankings.”

Sidelined for the second part of 2008 with a left hip injury, Hewitt has only played a handful of matches in 2009, most recently losing to David Nalbandian in the quarterfinals of the Sydney International.

Regardless of his on-court preparation, there is no doubting that Hewitt is focused and eager for the fans just as much as they are for him.

“For me to always come back and play here, it is a thrill always … I love playing on Rod Laver Arena. It’s going to be a lot of fun on Tuesday.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Story:


Football Live Streaming

Live Streaming

Soccer Live

Humsurfer: Sports - hot

digg.com: Stories / Sports / Popular